Tuesday 17 April 2012

The road to success is a bizarre one


So, one week left to go. My plan to gently cruise through central America over the course of a few months has gone to shit and I now have to cross eight countries in seven days. Should be a nice relaxing last week. My journey will take me from the capital of Nicaragua through Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala, Belize, Mexico, Germany and then the UK. It is by no means going to be pleasant, but for some reason it is not bothering me in the slightest. I guess it is because I am looking forward to coming back to the UK, and the journey ahead just feels like the final effort for the reward of getting back to see everyone that I have missed for so long. This trip has undoubtedly been the best times that I have had in recent memory, but it kind of grinds you down after a while. My health is declining to third world standards and I have been unable to shake off a chest infection for almost two weeks now. People probably expect that I am dreading coming home, but I am not. I can't wait to get back and I am now facing a bit of a race against the clock to make my flight in time. By my calculations I need five days and a half days of constant day travel to make it to Cancun from Managua. The highways are a bit sketchy in some of these countries and a few of the routes are bandito territory, so there are no night buses. This is a bit of a shitter, as I am really going to have to be on my A game to make some of these optimistic connections. They are all long journeys and therefore the last departure time for most of them are early afternoon. This means that I have to catch absurdly early buses 5am tomorrow and then arrive in a capital with around thirty minutes to find the next bus terminal and get myself on the bus. If I miss the connection then it could set me back an entire day. This is of mild concern, as I need to be in Cancun by 23rd, and tomorrow the 17th begins my journey. I am not quite sure how I got myself into this mess, but I am pretty sure that repeatedly missing the ferry off Ometepe was largely similar to the Gili Islands last year, where I missed the boat Bali about six days in a row. I was with people who I liked a lot and I did not want to leave.

But the Nicaragua is only half of the story, I felt like I did a genuine tour of duty in a month in Puerto Viejo. The place was like a vortex and is one of the most fucked up places that I have ever been in my life. Predictably the best story that I can tell to sum it up was also the most terrifying experience that I have had whilst travelling. The hostel that I was staying at was sort of a group of cabina's that were within a fenced compound just off the beach, most of the site being outdoors (sort of like a campsite with a few buildings scattered around). It was the same hostel that I had been at for a few weeks by this point, and I had got to know a number of the local guys quite well. I had heard various things about the owner, a guy in a wheel chair who lived almost opposite my cabina. but from what I had seen in my first couple of weeks there he was nothing more to me than a doting father who spent ninety percent of his time with his young daughter sat on his lap. My initial assumptions about him was that he had perhaps had a stroke, as he did not seem to have movement on one side of his face. I got to know him a bit and what I found out later came as a bit of a surprise, but I would be lying if I said it was total shock. As an alleged player in the drug wars in those parts he had shot and killed a rival gang leader some years before. As retribution that shot him seven times, including once in the face, landing him in a wheel chair for the rest of his life. Following his recovery he was then sent to prison for murder. This took me by surprise in the sense that he was such a nice guy, but I was aware that shit was going on, it was hard to ignore. At all times of day and night locals were comin'a'knockin and leaving again suspiciously quickly... Anyway, so a few weeks in and I was sat doing some work in the adjacent restaurant when I decided to pop back to my shack for a cheeky joint. Literally two minutes after leaving the restaurant and ten seconds after lighting the joint I start hearing people running by the outside and then suddenly people were shouting police and someone started hammering on my door. My anus pretty much imploded as I stood there with smoke all around me and an eighth of bud sat neatly right next to the door. I put it out and threw the joint and the rest of the weed into a cigarette box and threw it as far as I could under the bed. My heart felt like it was about to explode out of my chest as I opened the door and was greeted by a man pointing a gun towards me. Ho tidy I say's to meself.

So he ushers me out of my shack and walks me over towards where they have begun rounding everyone up on a bench that everyone eats around at night. I had picked up a bottle of water on my way out to try and give myself any kind of distraction, but I was so weak with fear that I could barely lift it off the ground (in fairness it was a six litre vat of water). So after being sat there for thirty minutes surrounded by around twenty police officers wandering how much of a bumming that I was going to get in prison they begin to pad us all down and send us back out of the campsite towards the restaurant. As I passed my cabina I opted to lock it back up and hope that they had already gone in there and not found anything. It turns out that these guys were the Costa Rican FBI and had been watching the owner for a while. But this information only filtered through after two hours of pure fear sat at the restaurant drinking straight rum hoping that this was not the end for me.

So that was pretty fucked up. They took away our hostel owner and the next day he called the youngish guy on reception who I had been hanging around with a bit. He was told that there was a rat at the hostel who had reported him, and needless to say I was not keen on being involved in the rat hunt, so a few of us decided that it was probably a good time to ship out of that place and move on to Nicaragua (although as always, it took about a week to actually mobilise ourselves). The longer we spent in that town the more fucked up things we began to hear, involving several rape and drugging stories (naïve teenagers mainly) and also a rumour that a tourists head had been found on a beach – although I am not sure if I believe any of this. This place is a walking advert for the impact that tourism has on small coastal communities like this. I have seen this same thing every place I have been, beautiful picturesque settings and entire cultures destroyed by travellers arriving with their money and behaviour that is entirely inappropriate to the customs of the local natives. I recently read an article about vang vieng in Laos, where I went tubing last year. This place has been completely ravaged, and last year in the local hospital alone (many get taken to the capital and aren't included in the stats) twenty seven tourists died on the river as a result of drunken / drug behaviour. The town has turned into ibiza and for a culture that is offended by nudity the indigenous folk have to stand by and watch half naked people wander around town drunk all day and night being sick on the streets and generally fucking up what used to be a stunning place.

The funny thing is that despite everything that was fucked up about it I felt a real affinity towards Puerto Viejo. Several times I felt like I should be moving on, bearing in mind that when I got there I only had about seven weeks to get up through six other countries to Cancun. However, something kept me there. I felt like I should be “travelling” more and seeing new places, but the more I learned about the place the more interesting it became. There are a lot of people who seem to go from place to place, spend a few days in each and then move on. This is fine for short periods, but it wears me down. In Puerto Viejo I learned so much about the people and what went on there that it became intriguing. The receptionist guy told me about an international gigolo who lives there, international drug smugglers who had disappeared off the face of the earth (captain zero, famous apparently), hostel co-operatives beating up local muggers, mysterious geniuses gone insane and pretty much everything in-between. I met a writer there who has three books published in Spanish about the local black magic scene, sounds pretty fucked up. Another day I was sat on a rock writing in my notepad and this black dude walks over with a girl, and really awkwardly they sit really close to me on either side and start reading what I am writing. I recognised the bloke to be the one who had told me that he was a “citizen of the earth” when I asked where he was from (he speaks with an American accent). He started questioning me incessantly about what I was writing and then told me that two days previous he had started a conversation with an American woman in the same way and it turned out that she had a current top ten New York best-sellers title in the charts and had just sold the movie rights for it. Pretty cool. What was not cool, not in any way, was what happened next. He told me that he was a signer songwriter and the previously silent woman urged him to sing me one of his songs. Get the guitar I thought to myself. The next four minutes were hell. He sat about half a foot from my face singing directly at my and I did not have a fucking clue what to do with myself. After he finished I said it was good and encouraged he pulled out his ipod and made me listen to the recorded version. Some people. It turns out that he is actually in the charts in Central America with this song, but I really wish that he did not feel the need to sing his song in my face, it is a bit much.

When it came time to leave I was sad to say goodbye to the place, but it was probably for the best. I had been hanging out with a forest fire fighter from Montana, a couple from Austria (the guy is called Bernhard Berger, genuinely used to crank call a guy called Bernard Burger because of his name) and an eighteen year old English girl who incredibly was travelling on her own in Central America (I say incredibly because personally I would not have had the guts to travel this area as an eighteen year old). We were headed for Ometepe, Nicaguara, an island in a huge lake formed by two active volcanoes. We had timed the travelling to avoid moving during Easter, as the Latin American's shut down everything over this period and basically go nuts for four days. When we arrived we stayed the first night in some shitty hotel where a squirrel took a piss on me, and on this basis we sought somewhere better the next day. We found an awesome hostel where we had three double beds in one room and two doubles in the other, along with a massive private balcony running the length of the two rooms (had our own floor of the hostel) overlooking the volcano.

The following day we decided to rent 200cc motorbikes and explore the island. I have never driven a motorbikes before, although I have driven several semi-automatic mopeds which apart from the power were not that different to operate. The only slight difference was that I had Katie the English girl on the back of mine and I had not really driven that much with a passenger before. We decided that we were going to drive to a waterfall we had heard about, despite being warned about the fact that you have to ride for over an hour on a very difficult dirt track. I was a little apprehensive, and when we arrived I realised that I had every reason to be. Jesus. I fell off within about thirty meters, and Katie opted to ride with an Aussie lad who had come along too and had a little bit more experience. As soon as I had her off the back I turned into a bit of a maniac and actually really enjoyed the buzz of scrambling up and down dirt paths over rocks and boulders, I can see why neiler loves motocross after that. In total I spent about ten days on that island, and I would have moved on sooner to not make this journey so bad but we had such a great group of people that it made it very difficult to leave. Every evening I said was my last from about day four, so we would get pissed and then I'd miss the ferry the next morning. But there was plenty to do and plenty not to do, and I enjoyed both with equal measures. The hostel itself gave plenty of reason to stay. It was a great set-up. As well as being a hostel is was a animal rescue centre, and there were four monkey's living out back. In addition to this there were wild deer roaming around who would go into the monkey pen to get wanked off (no shit). I tried wearing a pair of fake antlers to get involved but they were having none of it....

Easy rider

A few nights before leaving we began to hear a few stories about the people that run it, who are apparently part of some infamous cult on the island. People were suggesting things about pedophilia and also someone reckoned that their belief was that knowledge was spread through semen. A few of the guests left upon hearing this but I did not feel anything was really up with the place, although I did feel a bit smarter every time I had extra mayo on my burger... It seems that when you stick around a place long enough you always get to hear these funny little stories about the people living there, and anyone considering travelling I would definitely advise to spend more time in less places than just go from place to place non-stop, it is a far more rewarding / bizarre experience.

I will finish this entry, very possibly my last of this trip by revisiting the month of March, one that I had previously highlighted as being”important” according to the weird mind reading guy. What was doubly weird was that whilst at the hostel in Puerto Viejo I was telling a lad from California about what happened, and he said he knows someone who this happened to aswell. I was about to share my relief that it was probably a con, but his story was even more bizarre. It happened to this guy in India, same kind of thing, but then when he was in a bar in Jakarta Indonesia some months later, a man approached him and said “I have to speak to you, as I know my brother has been in contact with you”. This guy had seen him in a bar and somehow sensed that someone with similar abilities had spoken to this guy halfway across the continent three or four months previous. Weird. So, what happened in March? In addition to the two job offers from California I filled an entire 180 page notebook with writing for my book, which has taken me from a relatively early part of the story to being close(ish) to completion. In addition to this I came up with an idea for an entirely new book based upon Puerto Viejo, along with establishing several key contacts within the town. I wrote a credible business plan that I intend to peruse with a couple of mates when I get back. And then finally I met a girl who is pretty much exactly the same as a character that I was writing, but was previously struggling to develop, and she has agreed to tell me her story to help me along. This was an incredible stroke of fortune, which does not sound so mind blowing but the circumstances of the meeting were fairly unlikely and the links between her and the character are absolutely undeniable. So was March an important month for me? Yes, I would say so. Now I am ready to come home and start putting all of this into action. I don't know whether this is it for me travelling, I doubt it, but for the foreseeable future I am focused on concentrating on real life issues, like caring for a big brave abandoned bulldog. I actually wrote the first part of this blog yesterday and after a 4am rise I have cleared Nicaragua, Honduras and I am currently sat in some shithouse hotel in El Salvador, where random people on the street seem to be walking around with guns. So provided I make it through the night then I'll see you all soon...

Time for the hobo's return


No comments:

Post a Comment