Wednesday 9 March 2011

Siem Riep

Hola all... I've been in siem riep for the past few nights. Last night was an interesting one, I should have been resting up the ankle in preparation for an 8hr 9am bus journey to phenm pehn. Instead I went out and drank 4 buckets of Whisky. I met a few Brits on tour and things got out of hand. At 3am I went to find somewhere to watch the football in quite the state. Now I'd read the lonely planet regarding safety in Cambodia and it recommends not to walk alone at night, but the place felt fairly safe. I Was stumbling along (the pain in my ankle was somewhat numbed by this point) and suddenly someone jumped on me from behind. After a moment of blind panic and a little bit of poo I managed to establish that it was infact a small Cambodian boy who had hopped aboard for a free lift. So for the next 15 minutes I was walking around with a small child attached to my back. Come 5am and the end of a match that I have absolutely zero recollection of, I embarked on the 10 minute walk home only to find that my hostel had been completely locked up. my room mate dror had gone home hours ago. Therefore I had to 'sleep' on the floor until my hostel was reopened at around 8am. We then hopped aboard what had been billed a VIP bus with reclining chairs for our "5hr" journey. The bus turned up and the seats didn't recline but at least the seats were fairly comfortable. Anyway, this bus took us about 2 miles to a bus station where we were transferred to the biggest shit heap of a bus I've ever seen. It was completely full so I had to sit with a random right next to the toilet and above the wheels. The bone shaking suspension not only rattled my teeth but also kept me awake for the next 8hrs. For some reason I also kept getting a boner which really added to the comfort of sitting next to an old Cambodian woman whilst wearing nothing but sports shorts. Myfoot has also ballooned to a new size which I can fairly confidently attribute to last nights piggy back ride, but being the hypochondriac I am, I'm starting to wonder if it's something more sinister. I've been assured it's nothing to worry about by the isrealis, whom after two weeks of travelling together have had plenty of time to witnessand monitor my injury progress, so I'm taking their advice on this one! The wound under my foot has been complimented with a chunk off the end of my big toe, but old lefty is relatively unscathed, so I'm currently placing really quite a strong reliance on it. Cambodia is insanely cheap, I have an air conditioned room for 5 dollars a night and 200 burns costs about 3 quid, so at least the cancer is a bargain out here...

1 comment: