Thursday 3 March 2011

Tonsai Bay

Hello all, apologies for not updating this blog thus far, it has been an extremely hectic month! So here we go....

Railay / Tonsai Bay

After leaving Singapore I flew to Krabi, which is a small port town serving the islands in the Adaman Ocean. I opted to go to Tonsai Bay on a longboat as the "vibe" sounded like it suited my tastes (a lot of Reggae bars, Bob Marley pictures etc).... I got there and the place was just stunning, beach bars and bungalows all along a small stretch of coast.


Tonsai Bay
When I got there I had a wonder around looking for the cheapest bungalow I could find, which I found for 300bt (about 6 quid). The room was basic at best. There was no electricity until 7pm when they turned on the generators. I had my first experience of a thai toilet, after I'd been I noticed that there was no flush but there was a bucket and some sort of scooper. I was a little bit baffled as there was no where to "dispose" of the stool, and also the scoop seemed a bit big to even fit into the bowl. I opened the door and there was a young girl stood facing me and I asked her where I was supposed to throw the dump, she started pissing herself and apparently you're supposed to scoop water out pf the bucket and into the toilet to flush it away! Definitely made more sense!


My tidy bed

 The bungalow itself was right in the middle of a jungle just off the beach, I wasn't really sure of what lay in store for me in this fucking area, I had seen a big assed spider when I was going for a crap, which helped with my "movement"!


Bungalow







I spent my first evening there having a few beers with some lads that I met, of few of whom lived in Bristol. Within a few minutes I'd established that we had two mutual aquaintances. A lad called Casper who used to work at GVA and Matt who currently works in the BPMC department at GVA.... We went to a local bar called stoners and sampled some of the local produce. Stumbled back to my bungalow and for the next 3 hours I was staring at the many holes in the wall waiting for a snake or a spider to crawl its way through, eventually took a valium and fell asleep! When I woke up in the morning I could hear something scratching around outside and tiptoed upto the door, no shit there was a fucking monitor lizard that must've been two metres long! I crept back into my room to get my camera but by the time I got back it had lumbered off into the bushes. Then another one that was a bit smaller but still about 1m long came out of the bushes, I was feeling a bit unsure about staying in this place by then, but I'd already booked myself in for 4 nights by that point!


Monitor Lizard

I went and got some breakfast and met two americans called kelley and Trevor. They were cool as fuck and told me that they were had gone to a lagoon on the island, which they described as being a bit tricky to get to but worth it. I decided I'd go and check it out that day. Tricky didn't come close, there were vertical rock faces with bits of rope dangling down that I literally just had to lower myself down on. Some of them didn't even have ropes so had to take up some ametuer rock climbing

"tricky" descent to the lagoon

It took about an hour to climb up the mountain and then down into the lagoon. The lagoon is\tself was alright but it felt like a proper adventure getting there. When I got down there I met a couple of english lads called Jack and Mikey, who I'd later end up travelling with for a couple of weeks.
The next day me, Jack and Mikey went to Phanang beach, which was also on Railay. Met the Bristol lads there aswell and some american girls and spent the day sunbathing and jumping off some big assed rocks into the sea which was quality (sorry about the orientation opf the photo, can't work out how to rotate them!). I got entangled in a jelly fish at one stage and it felt like I was getting electricuted, which some fat american blob thought was hilarious, if it didn't hurt so much I'd have wrapped it around his fat sweaty peado face. By the time I managed to get it off me it was about 3cm from my testicles so it was no laughing matter!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment