Wednesday 16 March 2011

Soberville


All the ingredients for a relaxing nights sleep

Hi all, i'm not sure what day I arrived in Shianoukville, but my first night here was one to remember. My bus journey took about 7hrs and by the time I got here I was knackered. I found a hostel at Serendepity beach which had 3 dollar dorms and the place said it had a swimming pool and a spa. Sweet I thought. What they failed to mention was that the place was also a fucking nightclub that went on until 6am. I had treated myself to a 'happy' shake so by 11.30pm I was so ruddy tired. My dorm accommodated 28 people and also formed the corridor to the adjoining 28 bed dorm. All that seperated me from the nightclub area was a thin wall and a plate glass door. Every ten minutes or so someone would open the door and the music was pretty quiet. I think I finally fell asleep at about 5am and awoke again at 7am with some sweaty greasy blokes face about 10 inches away from mine. Oh what a relaxing relaxing nights sleep that was. I got up and left immediately!
The following day Noraly who I met diving arrived so upgraded the accommodation somewhat, it's much easier to do when you have someone else... The town of Shianoukville is quality, there are several beautiful beaches at our disposal and the weather is pretty scorching all day long. It's quite a party town too, I'm not sure how long I've been here but there have been some late nights... We met an Irish lad called Leon who's also staying at our hostel, so the other day we all got a happy shake and sat and watched films for the afternoon which was a nice break and has given me a chance to heal a bit! I watched the killing fields film and quickly realised that a bloke who kept giving me cloting and drinks on the train from Bangkok was very probably Khmer Rouge, as he gave me a red headscarf and was dressed in full military gear. I was walking around the night train all night with this scarf tied around my head, it probably wasn't going down well with the locals I imagine....

We got a tuk tuk down to Otres beach the other day which was a stunning and almost completely deserted beach, paradise... It's really cheap here so I think I may stick around for a little bit longer. We booked on to a booze cruise the day before yesterday and went out for a few looseners, turned into an all night bucket fest that went on until about 7am, ideal preperation for the booze cruise that kicked off at midday. I was pretty hanging and the prospect of a boat journey was low on my priority list, but once I had my first beer I perked up somewhat. The day was just panadamonium, I think I had about 5 beer bongs and by the end of the day they were filling mine with peach schnapps, feeling pretty tidy today like. The boat anchored a couple of times and we could jump into the sea or go exploring. We swam onto an island and found a lake. It looked pretty rancid but I dipped my toes in and it was absolutely boiling at the bottom and cold at the top so there were some geothermals going on. It was so nice in that lake but the water was pretty skanky and I couldn't help thinking that it wasn't doing much good for all of my wounds so made an exit!

The rest of the day turned pretty manic as people were getting more and more pissed and there were all sorts of antics going on! We got back onto shore about 7pm and they laid on a BBQ for us so we had a few more drinks. We were all covered in luminous paint so I thought I'd better go and get a change of clothes and a shower, when I looked in the mirror I was like a minstrel, my face was completely blacked out! I'm not sure how that happened or at what point, but I'd been walking around the town for about 3hrs in that state!

Geothermal lake
I'm not really sure what my plans are from here, I may go and stay on an island called Koh Rungg





The Stinger


No comments:

Post a Comment